When a Stranger calls.



DO NOT SPEAK TO A STRANGER!!

This  is probably the first thing we are taught as children. The innocent little children are made suspicious of every stranger that walks by, possibly for life. But what do you do when everyone you claim to know suddenly become strangers? What do you do when everyone you once put your faith in betray you. What do you do when the people who once held your hand suddenly abandon you?

I don't really know what compelled me to write this. Traveling has always made certain epiphanies dawn upon me. This trip was no less. A trip to Mcleodganj, with people I wasn't well accustomed to. Trekking, camping on the mountain top, bornfire with a group of strangers singing along with us. It all seemed too soothing. Everybody spoke a language of their own. They sang in solidarity, but each danced with devils of their own. In that one moment, no body judged. No body cared. They let go of their baggage and came out together to dance with the fire. The mountains for me have always held some kind of unknown magic. They have taught me lessons for life. They have never failed to baffle me. That night sitting in front of the  fire with strangers who knew nothing about me, I felt content. I felt at ease. I felt at home. These strangers who knew nothing about my past became a part of my present and made it all the more easy. With them I forgot who I used to be. I became another version of myself. A better version of myself. I spoke with these strangers through the breeze that blew between us. I saw the same fire light their eyes the way it did mine. Whatever demons we hid inside us, that night we were all the same. There was nothing else but the mountains, the breeze, the fire and the strangers that night.

Yes it was magical. I spoke to these strangers in a weird language of our own. They understood but never judged. That was the night when I left everything behind. That was the night when I burned whatever baggage I was carrying right there. Sometimes the people who you've known your entire life become strangers. These strangers that night became my redemption, if I have to exaggerate. These strangers gave me such comfort and warmth, that after a long time I felt at ease. After a long time I did not feel lonely. These strangers became closer than the people I once called family. There were no expectations, no betrayal, no lies, no judgments, no abandonment, nothing. They were strangers who I was taught not to talk to to. But these strangers spoke the same language that I did. These strangers comforted me better than my own family. These strangers came, listened, understood, and walked away. No questions asked.

Please don't mistake this post as an encouragement to go and talk to a pedophile or a potential kidnapper. All I'm trying to saw is that its okay to sometimes let your guard down. It's sometimes okay  to talk to people who you never would have otherwise. You would be surprised at what you learn. Sometimes letting go and being in the moment is all you need. So don't be afraid to pick up when a stranger calls.

Comments

Popular Posts